When I think about how to keep going, I think where do I draw my strength from? The best answer is intimacy with the Almighty God who redeems me by Jesus Christ and loves me with an everlasting love. He draws me and I run after Him and am refreshed and strengthened- this is what I was made for. Two songs go together in my mind on this concept, together they are like a conversation between God and us/me: "When I Hear the Praises Start" by Keith Green (God to us) and "Divine Romance" by Phil Wickham (us to God);
Connecting this to reflections more directly from the book, chapters 15-17 vulnerably lay out how needing intimacy with our Creator, God affects a teacher. It starts with becoming a friend of God. I want to be a friend of God!
Friends of God in the Bible: Abraham, 2 Chron. 20:7, Is. 41:8, James 2:22-24; Moses, Ex.
33:11, 34:10; Jesus’ disciples, John 15:15; There is open, honest, sometimes
bold conversation going on between
the Father [or Jesus and these men].” p. 142.
p. 143 “God, even though knowing the limitations
of the earthly creatures He had made in His image, trusted them enough to
reveal to them important things." God trusting us? Important things? That is freedom; that is
responsibility too, and yet...
In this kind of relationship with God, “There is
no fear in either saying or hearing.” There is confidence and trust, a safe place. Instead of fear, a
confrontation or change is a thrill, or you go into knowing you won’t break
though stretched because of the support of the other.
How can I maintain this relationship?
Prayer; a way of thinking about it is like I need to date Him, I
need longer times besides the quick moments, the on-the-way-out-the
door,-see-you-tonight-honey-kisses, to have a deepening relationship! I may not
be able to fit that in large chunks of time daily, but to become close, dear friends I need to often have times “just like returning to
our earthly homes when we have been away for a time,” p. 146, we welcome, hug,
eat, move to comfy chairs and converse lightheartedly, move on to serious discussion, creatively scheme for success,
and finally even romantically enjoy each other.
Rest & the Holy Spirit; “[Just] being together
is a blessing… With out the spirit, we will be busy on the inside, regardless
if we are sitting still on the outside.” p. 149. I think of what came to my mind reading about classroom
management, the story of a boy who obeyed and sat when told, but in protest,
called out to his parent that “I am sitting on the outside but I’m standing
inside!” We need to be moldable by God’s gracious guidance like our students need gracious classroom management.
Also to keep going as a teacher, I will need to live in a rhythm, have a schedule and understanding of how I spend my time, or else I will be on a fast track to burn out (ch. 16), and I'll need "soul friends," the kind that understand you and like you still and you bring each other closer to God.
No comments:
Post a Comment